Have you ever tried to get a dog into a vehicle? Well let me tell you, it can be very difficult. Whether your dog is a senior dog, or just a big dog, sometimes it is just impossible to physically lift them into the vehicle. The easiest solution to this problem is to use a best dog car ramp. Yes there is such a thing! Like everything, when it comes to dog gear not all products are created equal. To help make your decision a bit easier, I wanted to show you the best dog car ramp’s on the market right now.
When it comes to buying products that can affect our dogs safety and health, we need to make sure that we have the right product for what we need.
Let’s look at some of the best choices out there.
What to look for
First, we need to talk about some important factors that we need to be aware of before we start shopping for a car ramp. Things like:
What kind of structure is it?
How heavy is it?
Is it wide enough?
How high or steep is it?
Does it fold up and store easily?
What is the weight capacity?
Right size for your dog?
Is it the right height to reach your seat?
Easy to clean
Many of these items are key to finding the proper ramp for your dog. A ramp needs to be wide enough for the size of your dog to feel safe, and slip resistance so when they walk up it they don’t slide off. If they find it unstable or too steep these factors could make your purchase a big waste of $. Making sure they feel secure while using it, is the only way they will want to use it at all.
Having a ramp that is stored easily by folding up and yet light enough to be able to lift it into your vehicle. Just remember that you are going to use this every time you need to put your dog in the vehicle. That is why things like the weight of the structure are important. What I am comfortable lifting, may not be what is a good weight for you.
My dog already weights 50 lbs at 6 mos old, so I need to make sure that I am buying the proper ramp for his full-grown size. Getting the proper size ensures he doesn’t outgrow it which would mean purchasing another ramp. So size does matter.
When putting our dog in the vehicle, they sometimes can have dirty paws. That maybe fine if your vehicle is equipped with a backseat cover, but what about cleaning the ramp. It is important to make sure the ramp is easy to clean and disinfect, so the next time you need it, you are ready to go.
1. Solvit UltraLite Bi-Fold Pet Ramp
- Weighing in at only 10 lbs this ramp is the lightest of all 4
- Supports 150 lbs
- Rubber feet for secure footing
- Secure anti slip surface
- Equipped with a safety-release latch to ensure the ramp doesn’t open on its own
- Hassle free cleaning simply by spraying with a hose
- Anti slip surface not that anti slip
- Maybe too steep
- Can be tough to use with a car door opening
- Best to put your foot at the base of the ramp when your dog is using it
2. PetSafe Happy Ride Telescoping Pet Ramp
($160.00 – $180.00 USD) PRICES VARY
- Aluminum construction makes it lightweight
- High traction walking surface
- Telescoping design makes it very compact to store
- 2 sturdy sizes to choose from
- Can support between 300-400 lbs
- Weight 13 lbs
- Complaints that it is too heavy
- Snap connection in the closed position is hard to reach
- Small carry handle
- Kind of narrow
- Traction surface not very durable
3. Pet Gear Reflective Extra Wide Tri-Fold Pet Ramp
($105.00 – 120.00 USD) PRICES VARY
- Highly visible reflective and reflective
- Rubber grips on bottom
- Built-in handle for easy carrying
- Easily folded for transportation
- Skid-resistance surface for extra grip
- Holds up to 200 lbs
- Weight 26 lbs
- A little heavy at 26 lbs
- Can be a bit steep
- Surface skid protection not that durable over the long term
- Hinge design makes it awkward to open and close
- When folded the rough side is the one exposed, so harder to store
4. PetSTEP Folding Pet Ramp
($118.00 – $140.00 USD) PRICES VARY
- Plastic and fiberglass material makes it super strong
- Holds 500 lbs
- Raised non-slip surface provides great traction
- 17 inches width
- Weight 18.5 lbs
- Rust-proof components
- Folds up very easily
- No easy to use handle
- When folding up can pinch your fingers if you aren’t careful
- Can be slippery if wet
- A tad steep
- With a lot of weight can be a bit flexible
We all like to image that our dogs are capable of handling everything, especially if you have a big dog. The reality is that our dogs are not super dogs, so we need to be realistic with the things that we are asking them to do.
Jumping into a vehicle can be difficult for any dog to do. Why risk an injury or even worse making your dog afraid to get into the car. Using a car ramp is the perfect solution to avoid any of these risks.
Now like anything new that we introduce to our dogs getting them used to a ramp, can be a bit of a challenge. Our dogs are sometimes leary of big new things. If you have had success training your dog to do pretty much anything, then you will be able to train them to also use a ramp.
The best and easiest solution is always to practice with your dog by slowly introducing them to the ramp. Put the ramp flat on the ground and let them sniff it out. Then get them used to just walking on it while it is on the ground. Using treats as a reward for walking on it is always a great idea.
If you don’t want to jump right to putting it on the vehicle door opening, you could slowly increase the ramp’s height by leaning it up against a set of stairs, that way you can slowly raise it on each step one by one, rewarding them as they go. Once you feel confident they have mastered it, then try it on the vehicle. Most dogs don’t have any issue learning to use a ramp. As always though, you know your dog best, so adapt accordingly to their temperament and skill level.
When it comes to the best dog car ramp, the 4 styles and designs I have shown you are the most reviewed and highly rated ramp’s available. There are other ones to choose from of course, but I always prefer to buy something that has lots of reviews, that way you can ensure that it has been tested by many.
Best of luck with your adventure into the car ramp world. Once you make the decision to purchase a ramp, you will quickly wonder how you managed without it.
I hope you enjoyed my review. I would love to hear your thoughts and comments below.