As a dog parent I am constantly worrying about the many things that can harm my dogs. I am always surprised when I come across something new that I didn’t know was capable of causing my dog to get sick.
There are many myths out there that claim they harm our pets, but in reality they do not. One of the big myths out there is that Swifer Wetjet are toxic to dogs. This is not true. Swiffer Wetjet spray and wet pads are safe and not toxic to you dog in any way.
What’s toxic to dogs, and do you really know what these things are. This is important information that needs to be shared to all dog lovers out there.
Surprising items that are toxic
Pets owners often struggle with making sure that their homes don’t smell like their dogs. This leads us to use air fresheners and plug-ins to make our homes smell nice.
One of the surprising things that I found out that is toxic to dogs, are air fresheners and plug-ins. These can cause reactions with in a few hours of being plugged in.
The signs that you dog may exhibit are things like: vomiting, diarrhea, coughing, sneezing and a lack of appetite.
They contain volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. These VOC’s are things like acetone, ethanol, and acetate and are typically toxic. They react with the air and can cause formaldehyde and ultra fine particles that are linked to heart and lung disease.
Cheaply made scented candles and incense are also things that can be very toxic to you dog. When burned these products cause soot to be released into the air. It is that soot that is left behind, that can be toxic to you dog.
A great alternative to using these types toxic type of fresheners is by replacing them with bamboo charcoal bags. These charcoal bags are Eco-friendly, 100% organic and non-toxic. These bags are good for up to 2 years and are rechargeable by setting them outside in the sun every couple of months for 1-2 hours.
They are great at absorbing odors, mildew and preventing the growth of bacteria. Your house will be odour free, by simply putting them in each room, closet or vehicle.
There are many food items, that most dog owners know not to give their dog. But I am going to discuss what the main ones are just in case there is something that you aren’t aware of.
The other reason I want to go through some food items, is for any new dog owners out there that may not know that these items can harm their dog.
Here is a list of some very toxic food items, that you want to keep away from you dogs:
- chocolate (especially dark)
- macadamia nuts
- raw meat
- unripe tomatoes
- sugarless gum
- sugarless candy
Many of the items on this list contain something called Xylitol. This can be found in items that are sugar-free, chocolate and in some cases in baked goods. For this reason, it is important that if you are going to give you dog any table food what so ever, that you know 100% what ingredients are in that particular food.
Honestly just to be safe I would refrain from giving you dog anything other than dog food and dog treats.
If you dog does somehow eat any of these items, these are some symptoms you dog will exhibit are things like, diarrhea, increased thirst, seizures, lethargic, vomiting, high temperature and shaking.
Please call you vet immediately and treat it like an emergency.
Vets say to avoid giving you dog any table scraps at all if possible. It is recommended that you feed you dog approved dog food and dog treats. You can even go one step further and really give your dog the best food possible. Your dog will love TruDog.
Many household items are also extremely dangerous to your pet. Most of them are household cleaning items, that you need to ensure you pet doesn’t get into.
As we know with children and toxic chemicals they don’t mix, the rules for dogs are very similar. You want to make sure to keep items like these away from you dogs :
- glass cleaner
- detergent (including pods)
- toilet bowl cleaner
- drain cleaners
- polishing agents
- spot remover
With any cleaning products, be very careful with the term “Natural,” that does not mean that they are safe for you dogs. They can still contain ingredients that are toxic. Just to be safe, if you are going to use these products, make sure to avoid storing these household items anywhere where you dog may have access.
Personally I use white vinegar to clean my hard wood floors, mirrors and bathrooms. Putting the vinegar in a spray bottle makes it easy to use and does a fabulous job of cleaning while providing antibacterial protection.
Over the counter and prescription meds
There is a huge misconception that people have with over the prescription and over the counter medications and their dogs. People like to think that they can give their dogs just a little of their prescription medication and that it won’t harm their dog. Maybe you dog has aches or pains and you think it is OK to give things like Naproxen, or any anti-inflamatory type medications. This is not true. These drugs are toxic and can cause severe neurological problems.
Never give you dog any over the counter drugs that you may have. This includes things like ibuprofen, Acetaminophen, or cough/cold medication. If you did not get the medication from you Vet, or didn’t consult with you Vet it is a no no. Giving you dog any of these over the counter drugs as they can lead to liver failure, stomach ulcers and kidney failure.
Drugs for ADHD/ADD like Adderall even in the smallest dose can cause seizures, tremors, elevated body temperature and can cause serious heart conditions.
Keep all of these medications up and out of the reach of any pets. Personally I keep my medications in a cabinet far from the reach of my dogs.
Everything that we bring into our house, we need to treat like we are caring for a child. Keep out of the reach of children, should also say keep out of the reach of dogs.
There are a ton of other items, that we need to be super careful with around our dogs. Things like insecticides, fertilizers, and rat poisons.
The one thing that people really seem to forget about, is that certain kinds of plants that we may have in our home, or in our yard can also be very toxic for our dogs.
Some of the most common toxic plants include: Daffodil bulbs, Day Lilies, Ivy, Lilly of the Valley, Hydrangeas, Azalea, Umbrella Plants, and Dieffenbachia. There are other plants that are also on this list, so make sure to research any new plants that you are thinking of buying, to see if they are toxic to dogs.
Essential oils are also a huge risk to our dogs like: Cinnamon, Citrus, Penny royal, Peppermint, Pine, Sweet birch, Tea tree (melaleuca), Wintergreen and Lavender.
This makes sense seeing as essential oils are extracts that come from plants.
The bottom line on what’s toxic to dogs, is that there are many things that we need to ensure we keep away from our dogs. As always the responsibility falls on us as dog owners, to make sure that we are on top of all things that can potentially cause our dog harm.
We all know that accidents do happen, so if you dog does happen to get into something toxic, make sure to call the poison hot line and your vet immediately.
KEEP YOUR DOG SAFE OUT THERE!